Pastor's Over the Years
Mission Statement: Our mission is to serve God and share the good news of the Gospel with all we come into contact. We will baptize, teach and equip believers to win souls for Christ.
Historial Statement: New Sunlight Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1909 under theleadership of Reverend Samuel Williams, who at that time, was the Pastor of Mount Moriah Baptist Church located on Old Hammond Highway . The Church that is now known as New Sunlight Missionary Baptist Church was originally named Mount Moriah Number Two primarily because about fifty members from the first Mount Moriah moved to the city because of inadequate transportation for getting to and from the original church. These members than organized and held church services in a hall located on Knox Street .
In 1912 a lot was purchased for the sum of four-hundred-fifty ($450.00) dollars, and a framed building was constructed. The newly constructed building was given the name New Sunlight Missionary Baptist Church .
In 1922 death took the beloved Reverend Samuel Williams. He was succeeded by Reverend Isaac J. Anderson. Under his administration the membership built a larger structure of stone.
Reverend Anderson died in 1939 and was succeeded by Reverend Daniel Smith.. Under his leadership, the members expanded the rear of the church to include a kitchen, a dining area and two choir stands. As the Pastor, he served faithfully until his death in 1942.
In 1942 Reverend Louis Brown was called to the pastorate of this great church where he served faithfully until his death in 1951. He had the sanctuary floored and hardwood and a new piano.
The Reverend Edward W. Brown's services were secured in 1951. Under his leadership an organ, pews and song books were purchased. It was under his leadership that interior renovations were made and the building fund for this new church began. He also had a salary initiated for the Pastor, and many intrinsic values were derived.
Reverend Brown resigned in 1958 to accept the pastorate of Antioch in Beaumont , Texas . The Reverend Joseph R. Williams, endowed with a rich background and outstanding leadership ability was called to the pastorate of New Sunlight.
Under Reverend Williams' leadership the current edifice was constructed in 1970. Interior renovations were made to add classrooms and the enlargement of the fellowship hall in 1993. Land was purchased to expand the parking lot and several auxiliary programs were formed. These include the Lena S. Johnson Scholarship Fund, organized in 1969. The Male Chorus was formed in 1990 and the Mass Choir organized in 1992. Family and Friends Day was started in 1992 and the Summer Enrichment Program in 1993. The After School Tutorial Program was started in 1995 and the New Sunlight Newsletter was established in 1997. Reverend Williams, having served New Sunlight faithfully for forty-two years died in June 2000.
The Reverend Dale W. Flowers followed in the footsteps of Reverend Williams in September of 2000. Under Reverend Flowers' leadership additional land with a building was purchased for a Daycare Center and additional parking. A new electric piano was purchased and carpet replaced in the sanctuary. The Pastor's study was enlarged and the church obtained its 501 © non-profit status. A breakfast program was started for the homeless. Reverend Flowers presented a ten-year vision plan for the church entitled Vision 2011 and a Web Page was constructed. An additional worship service was added in September of 2006 and various ministries have been added to meet the needs of the members of New Sunlight and the community at large.
New Sunlight has a rich history and as we continue to strive for excellence we are excited about the wonderful work God will perform through us in the future.